Friday 22 July 2011

What do quantum physics and Google docs have in common?

I think I saved one of the best tools for last.  This week I explored Google docs more specifically the spreadsheet that can be shared.  I am currently teaching a summer class of Physics 30 students and decided they were to be my test subjects.  I had them complete a lab that requires them to determine Planck's constant with LED's (Planck's Lab).  The accuracy for this lab, as with most labs, is increased with more data so I though that this would be a perfect time to try out the shared spreadsheet.  I created the spreadsheet and posted a link on my blog, see last post.  I then asked each group to post the data, and I do have to say it worked smoothly and all students found access easy.

 I have a great group this summer and all are very diligent so putting data into the spreadsheet was done quickly.  One issue I can see is having to wait for those students that are continually late with their work.  If you are doing a lab that requires class data and everyone else is relying on your input and you hold people back it could be an issue.  I'm looking forward to using more of the Google docs for collaboration in my classes this upcoming fall.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the example of using technology to make life better rather than using technology just to use technology.
    ~Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've inspired me to try Google Docs again...I had used it a few years back, but just to create a survey...it looks like it is quite useful for data collection and posting. Gone are the days of drawing a big data table on the white board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea of using the spreadsheet in Google Docs to bring student data together. What a great time saver and way to encourage collaboration, as well as give students access to more data. The possibilities seem endless for this. I'm excited to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, need to revisit Google Docs. The spreadsheet is very applicable to a couple of labs that we do. I can't wait to figure this one out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I read this blog post because I liked the title! I hadn't thought to use Google Docs to share data, but that is a great idea! I can see it saving a lot of classtime. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete