Wednesday 13 July 2011

BLOG vs. WIKI

...and the winner is.......BLOGS!

The more I think about how to incorporate these tools into the classroom the more I lean toward the blue corner..Blogs.  I personally like the aesthetic nature of a blog, it is easy to navigate around, it can be personalized by the students and it is something they have control over.  It becomes their own personal science pulpit that they can share thoughts and ideas with the class and world.  I would find this very useful in my classroom since I am trying to get students to write more in my physics classes.  I am really trying to push them to EXPLAIN their answer, DESCRIBE why and JUSTIFY their responses.  Including a 'blogging' requirement for formative assessment may get them the practice they need to achieve these expectations I put forth for them.

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you are trying to do with your physics students, having them explain and basically defend their answers is so much more like what they will face when they get out of high school. Whether it is college or the workplace, being able to intelligently discuss their decisions will be invaluable.
    Blogs do seem to be a good way to accomplish this. Having to defend their positions in public will encourage them to be thoughtful and put more effort into their answers. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol

    It is a challenge to get students to just write and I'm hoping this will engage them more.

    Kristian

    ReplyDelete