Tuesday 5 July 2011

Create A Graph Exploration

Today I explored the Create A Graph Tool that was suggested and have to admit enjoyed the experience.  I feel this is a relatively easy tool to use and would enhance an elementary and junior high science class.  I like the fact that the "wizard' that takes one through the creation of a graph is straight forward.  One of the pitfalls that Microsoft Excel exhibits is it tends to get a little confusing for younger students who end up getting frustrated, this program alleviates this.  One issue I did have however, was for the line graph I created I was unable to plot a line of best fit, it just connected the data points, very annoying.  Here is the graph I created using some contrived distance and time data.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always torn with graphing. I make my students do all of their graphs with good ol' pen and paper for several reasons. 1) They are expected to graph both equations and types of data on the standardized math exam in 10th grade and this is one way that the science department helps out our math teachers. 2) We don't have access to computers to be able to generate online graphs like this or graphs using Excel. 3) I suck at make graphs on Excel!

    Seriously, it is a skill that somehow jumped me. I had a Physical Chemistry professor in college who insisted on using an obscure graphing program instead of excel. By the time I started teaching again it seemed like using Excel for graphing was ubiquitous for everyone, but I never learned how to use it. Does anyone know if there is a simple tutorial out there for how to use excel this way? Because I have never been very successful trying to train myself.

    And if this online graphing tool can't do a line of best fit (and I couldn't get it to do that either) then it will not be of much use to me this year I think.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete