Monday 12 October 2009

Transmission #7 from Tycho (Origins)


"I'm sorry about the sun,

how could I know that you would burn?,

and I'm sorry about the moon,

how could I know that you'd disapprove,

and I'll never make the same mistake,

the next time I create the universe I'll make sure we communicate at length"

- from Better Off Dead by Brett Gurewitz





Phase of the Moon Today: Waning Crescent 21% of Full - according to the internet - unable to see the moon due to cloud cover, -5 today, snowing





After finding most of last week's activities not applicable to my classes I am excitited that the readings assigned this week "The Moon at its Core" by Linda Martel and "Origin of the Earth and Moon" by G. Jeffrey Taylor have many applications to the current Physics 30 curriculum. I am currently attempting to write a few questions pertaining to these articles.

Origin of the Earth and Moon article:

The article regarding the origin of the Moon may work well for a linear collision before the rotational efects take hold.

The Moon Core article:

The second article has applications for induction as the satellite travels through the magnetic field. It also has application Physics 20 when discussing the satellite orbital speed.

The two activities "assigned" this week also have some application in my classroom. The ZAP! activity can be used in Physics 30 as an introduction or application of electrostatics.

Signing Off..

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment