Friday 30 October 2009

Transmission #21 From Tycho (Misconception revealed)

"Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow; He who would search or pearls must dive below." - John Dryden

Phase of the Moon Today: Waxing Gibbous 97% of Full - cloudy tonight couldn't see the Moon

I completed the impact crater activity in my Science 10 class today. I related it to the kinetic energy topic we have been dealing with in class. I showed my class the impact crater Powerpoint we received in this course. The students were interested in the topic and had many questions about the Moon.

One student posed this question "Since the Moon has no atmosphere, if you walked around the Moon would you fall off?"

Shockingly an interesting correlation - does the atmosphere have any relationship to gravity? Well of course not - I was a little puzzled that they had made this connection especially being a Sr. high student. It just goes to show that it really doesn't matter how old you are many people still have many misconceptions about science and how things work. i guess that's why I signed up for this 'teaching' gig to bust the myths and misconceptions.
signing off
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment