Friday 16 October 2009

Transmission #11 From Tycho (Illusions)


"I'm havin' illusions, I'm havin' illusions, drivin' me mad inside

I'm havin' illusions, I'm havin' illusions, @#$%^& me up in my mind."

-by Cypress Hill


Phase of the Moon Today: Waning Crescent 2%of Full - Hooray I actually saw the Moon this morning at 7:30 am clouds have lifted and it's warming up.

Here is a neat photo gallery of how the Moon's apparent size changes as it orbits the Earth . They are pictures taken from May 2005 - December 2006 of all the full moons during this period, really neat. We have been discussing Moon illusions and one that came up was how the Moon appears larger as it is when it is near the horizon. Why does this happen? It occurs because our brains are looking at it in relation to the background objects, giving it the illusion of looking bigger. If we elimintate the surroundings its apparent size reduces. See here: Illusion
This is an optical illusion I regularly discuss in Biology 30 class that relates to this phenomenon.

Signing Out..
KB

No comments:

Post a Comment