Sunday 11 October 2009

Transmission #6 from Tycho (Observations)


"Science is simply common sense at its best that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallcy in logic." Thomas Huxley

Phase of the Moon today: Waning Crescent 36% of Full - supposedly I didn't see the Moon today, too cloudy, snow is here and it's getting cold -5 today.

What I hate about lab activities is when students ask me the question: Is this supposed to happen? One of the main objectives in lab activities is to exercise their qualitative observational skills. They need to learn to use thee skills to formulate analysis and connections and realize that science doesn't always answer our questions.
We discussed in class today the sketching of the Moon phases and the use of the "internet" as opposed to going outside and observing the actual event. I have been guilty of not observing the Moon daily but have not been able to since the skies above have been filled with clouds due to the weather and snow moving in. From here on in I will note in my journal whether or not I used the internet to 'sketch' my Moon phase and what the weather was like outside - see above.

signing off
KB

No comments:

Post a Comment